31 May 2009

Trip to Polar Ship Museum

Last Sunday I went to the Norwegian Ships Museum with 3 Italians that came to visit Norway, they were in Bergen and Oslo (That remains me that I haven´t really see much about Bergen, maybe I should pay the second city of Norway a visit, I have also seen that there is a fight with Trodheim about being the 2nd city) Anyway, they stayed in my place for a couple of nights and the day they made the tour in Oslo I join them, at least for the morning. So they decided to visit the Bygdoy side, and we went to the Polar Ship Fram.
I´m not very fond of boats, so stories about Viking ships doesn’t amaze me, but I must say, after seeing the size of this ship and thinking on all the seas it went through I change my mind about boats (just a little bit dough). This ship is one of the first ones to be in both the South Pole and the North Pole and is more than a 100 years old. So it´s have something to tell.
After the bla, bla, bla of the transcendence of those trips in the long ago years that they made it, with the very small technology available, the scientific touch behind those trips that keep pushing and giving a lot of sense to the journeys (so it won´t be just the economical reasons pushing), their contribution to the openness of the Western World to, for them, new cultures, but also the discipline, sacrifice and persistence need to put up enormous trips like these.
I have to add, because I felt it, was not sure if is worth to have some reflection about it, especially because I just stated in my profile description to be a “young adventurer”, now I have to be sure if everything that I state there is really reflecting myself. So far is doing it. Because what I got from the visit to that museum is to think which are my “poles”, if I have any, and if I´m willing to do a long journey to them, with my available resources and which would be my reasons to do it.
A lot of big and deep questions arise, maybe wondering in life trying my best to be happy is not enough, and maybe I really need a “pole” to walk towards. Or yet, perhaps I don´t.
A lot to think about, I hope to do it properly, step by step in slow motion, giving enough time and space to each aspect. Maybe I need to discover that land that will be my pole.
Here are the Italians friends: Simone Cardellino, Simone Carnonaro and Michele Martucci.


No comments: