07 February 2010

The end of the winter boots.

Two winters have past, two winters I have survive in Norway, this Scandinavian season full of great and interesting things is a very practical way of learning the meaning and utility of the famous Norwegian saying: “there is not bad weather, just bad clothing”. I learn to use wool, winter underwear, double pants, jackets, lipstick, lotions, scarf, gloves, hats and caps. I learn to appreciate spicy food, to love even more the hot chocolate, that a long cup of coffee is not just about the taste, but also a hand-warming and a break to get-warm, an unavoidable habit.

The rather boring ceremony of putting layers of clothing on top to go out and take them down to go in, could be forgotten just after a nice trip to the mountains for cross country skiing in the gorgeous Norwegian nature. Some waffles, with jam, sour cream and brown cheese is the official taste of this paradisiacal Norwegian winter moment. I strongly believe that the “Glog” should be drink more often in this season. I have also incorporated the “Te” culture. :)

After the final rides of fun sliding in Frogneseteren, it was obvious that it was time for a new stage. My boots told me so, after all this time of getting to appreciate and love the Norwegian culture, the road continues, but the shoes have to be different.

The cities of Bergen, Hønefoss, Lillehammer, Drammen, Narvik and Porsgrunn are my samples of inland; the images, experiences, views, sounds, people, tastes, colors and memories offered there, all comes with me.

I like the road ahead of me; I like that I can back-up my steps with all that I’m taking from this 18 months in Norway. The boots now rest in peace, only the Gods know which are the shoes that I’ll use now. If it is for me, I can start walking even bare footed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sweet huevon!!RIP winter boots. you gotta pass them on to someone, these shoes are made for walking and they got history!